Friday, November 5, 2010

Weekend Recap Part I: Gas Lines Removed

I'm trying to recap...because sometimes, it's just easier than living in the now.  Although right now, I can't complain.  So here's the recap from Thursday - Saturday mid-day...

MS (he really needs a different name) had suggested that I "pack a bag" and spend the weekend with him last weekend.  I wasn't sure if he was serious.  Apparently he was, but that wasn't how the weekend quite unfolded.  I scooted out of work a little early on Friday - after making another six tie blankets for foster kids - changing it up and making infant and toddler blankets too!  I headed home and grabbed an overnight bag.  MS had informed me a few nights earlier that his family "birthday celebrations" were going to be Saturday night at his mom's and I could hang out with him and his son until the birthday dinner.  Not attend the birthday dinner.

Oh wait...random is my middle name.  Time to back track even further.  If you recall, the gas had been shutoff and on Thursday 10/30 the Semco Gas man was coming to relight my pilots.  While I may have tried to light them myself (or blow my house up), I couldn't because the gas was actually OFF.  So I finally met up with the gas man (I was running late and the 800# couldn't contact the dispatch and of course I missed him, but he left a message and anyway...) who was very polite.  Since he was in the house, I inquired of the gas smell I have smelled for well, over a decade that I have owned my house.  I realize I have a sensitive schnoz, and we haven't blown up yet.  Even the gas man couldn't smell anything; however, he got his handy dandy tool from his truck which identified a minute leak from an old capped off gas line.  He also wondered who did my furnace and why they connected the gas lines the way they did.  Hmmm...

Long story short, he informed me twice of how my "husband or boyfriend" or "friend" could remove the old lines and fix the lines to the furnace to reduce the potential for gas leaks to three.  Instead of the likely thirteen or something I had!  He then offered to do it on the side for $50 and a couple hours.  I took him up on that offer since "friends" and "projects" have failed miserably for me in the past.  He said that Saturday would work for him and seeing that my weekend plans were crumbling with MS, it seemed like a great opportunity! AG and I had talked about doing something on Saturday if I didn't trek across state to touch base with TS who has been having some difficult times.  Nothing at the time included a costume or Halloween adventure, at the time.

Friday night MS and I headed to Pasta Night at the Cascade Winery and had a great time sampling the wines.  The pasta was a checklist that you could chose your own veggies, meat, pasta and sauce.  It was accompanied by a glass of wine or beer, garlic bread and a mini brownie made with the dessert wine!  All for $10 a person!  Fabulous and if you are ever in the area of Grand Rapids, check it out! Saturday afternoon they had a wine tasting, chocolate and cheese event that AG and I had planned to attend.  Planned.

Saturday morning I waited for Freddie to arrive at my house.  22 minutes late and no word, I was again wondering what it is with handymen not finding it handy to be on time or own a watch.  He called shortly thereafter saying his pipe wrenches were missing and he would be on his way shortly.  He arrived over an hour later. Very nice guy and he did a great job cleaning up all the old pipes in my basement.  I would say that there had to be about 60' of old pipes removed.  There is no more gas smell!  After four hours, the job was complete and he maintained the same price.  I paid him more, he deserved every dollar of it! 


Old Gas Lines Removed (& a copper water line)
Stay tuned for what I managed to do while Freddie worked on the gas lines and I had to be "handy" or onsite for an extra hand if needed.  Never a dull moment.  Dull...now that would have been favorable!

No comments: