Monday, November 29, 2010

Teen Room Transformation

T turned 13 in March.  He officially became a teenager.  His bedroom (although I didn't take a before picture - and can't find one on my camera or computer) has been painted twice in the past 11 years.  He continues to have the same bedroom furniture that he has had since he was 3.  My mom had purchased the bedroom set: bunk bed, two dressers and a book shelf.  They are excellent quality but I thought maybe it was time to upgrade.  When T was 3, the bed was on the floor and then years later it moved up to the bunk, where he continued to sleep in his twin size bed.

I offered to repaint.  I offered to add sports border.  I offered to redo his trunk chest.  I offered a new bed.  I offered a new bedroom set.  No, No, No, Well, No.    I had purchased the full size bed for the guest room last year with the intention that it would be T's.  A week ago Friday, I had T sleep in the bed to see if he wanted it or we could go bed shopping.  T decided he liked the bed and it would be fine.  He also decided he wanted the area rug from the living room for his bedroom floor.  He wanted to keep the same colors and not have me repaint.  Less work for me = Love it!

The weekend before Thanksgiving, I spent reorganizing the rooms.  Always an adventure.  I managed to take down the bunk bed and had T clear off the floor, bench and the tops of his dressers.  The room was clear with the exception of the two dressers that I just moved to lay down the rug and moved into position.  I put up the bunk in the spare bedroom.  While not completely functional for guests, it can be appropriate for a foster child that may require respite. 

Guest Bedroom
The afghan was made by my grandmothers and I figured for now, it can cover the crazy fabric of the couch.  I am still planning on organizing the closet and then the plan will be to put the dresser into the closet.  That's the idea anyway.  Then if other company come, I will put the aero bed underneath the bunk.  Seeing that I seldom have overnight guests, I'm not too worried at this point, although I have also considered getting a twin size bed for under the bunk.  Decisions...

Other than dropping the mattresses on my leg while wedging in the bed frame and pinching my index finger in the metal bed frame, I managed to move the bedrooms with little issue, well little blood.  T and I went through both drawers and I made him try on everything.  The following day, I went through and reorganized his closet.  It is amazing how much room he really has!

Clean & Organized, For a Minute...

We attempted to find a comforter set, but didn't find one that was quite right.  He liked a queen size comforter at Meijer that was very grown up (which I purchased for him (or me) for Christmas) on the Saturday after Black Friday for a great steal!  I noticed that he was sitting on the floor with his computer on his dresser.  I asked T if he would like a desk, which he said yes.  On Black Friday I purchased a desk that he had found online at Staples for a steal!  Then I went to the hotel restore and grabbed a desk chair that the clerk discounted $10 as the height lever wasn't working!  I picked up a great queen sized down alternative comforter set at Target for $24.99!



I assembled his desk and added his new bedding last weekend for an early Christmas present.  For less than $80, his room is officially transferred into a great room for him to enjoy through his teens!  And the best thing, when he came home tonight and opened his closed door, he was surprised AND, HE LOVES IT!

No comments: