Friday, November 5, 2010

Family Fun: No Vermont Vacation

So in the midst of the weekend recaps, I forgot to mention what was to be my next impromptu "vacation".  Ok, so not a vacation by any means, but a trip out of town and out of the state of Michigan. 

My brother and his family (wife and three children) will be moving with my brother's job across the country.  At his request, I can't discuss his "witness protection" lifestyle - at least that is what he told the Walgreen's guy the other day!  My mom had offered to fly out to help my brother and his family travel from Vermont back to Michigan for the Thanksgiving holiday before being in his new state, halfway across the US.  My mom had suggested that my sister-in-law and less than a month old niece fly home rather than drive the 13 hours back to Michigan. 

I thought it was a brilliant idea that my mom offered to assist my brother and his family.  I also recognized that the flight alone would be physically and mentally demanding on my mom let alone the drive back to Michigan.  I have time that I can take off from work and after having T for 12 days or so in a row for hunting season, I decided maybe I should offer.  I could take three days off of work and help them get back home.  The idea came quickly and out of the blue.  It seemed brilliant.

I called my brother and we caught up on everything going on with the family.  I offered that I could fly out and drive back.  My brother liked the idea better with me assisting than my mom (and fortunately my mom thought it was a great idea too when I suggested it, after the fact!).  Apparently the flights back to Michigan were too much, so they thought my sister-in-law and the baby would just ride back.  This all came to fruition on Thursday night 10/28.  My brother said he would talk to his wife and let me know by noon Friday.  After we got off the phone, I called my mom.

I could get a flight out to my brother's one-way for $200.  My sister-in-law and the baby could fly into where I was flying out of for about $244 and take my car and go to her parents or my parents.  She would be in a car, en route to her destination, three hours after departing the airport!  I called my brother and left a message to tell him about the flight information.

On Friday, my sister-in-law called to say that they were taking me up on my offer; however, she would be "riding".  They hadn't listened to my message and were unaware that she and the baby could fly back so reasonably.  So in less than 24 hours, I had suggested assisting my brother and his family on the first leg of their cross country move and had purchased my ticket, done deal.

I'm looking forward to meeting my niece and seeing my nephews.  I'll even be able to see Vermont, very briefly before our drive home through Canada.  I surely hope that I don't forget my passport or it could be a very long journey indeed.

No comments: