Friday, November 19, 2010

Cookie Irony

I've been terribly busy at work.  I have been working every late night possible and a few extras as well.  I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, the reprieve around the holidays, almost.  Last week, a day that our office was closed, I found myself working to accommodate a family.  A family that has been nothing but difficult. 

The moment after I knocked on the door, it was sprung open and loudly I was greeted with the fact that the woman had "over booked" and had to race out soon with two of the youth.  She hovered while I tried to do my job and meet (interview) the youth individually.  General conversations.  She sat for about ten minutes with me and her husband before she had to bolt.  I finished up the visit with the husband and left.  I tried to address several of the serious concerns we (workers & myself) have with the family.  I felt that I was appropriate and non-confrontational.  Apparently, I wasn't.

Today I managed to do everything I could possible and procrastinated writing the report from my visit.  I would write it after my lunch with MS.  Lunch was pleasant and always good to see MS.  He followed me after lunch as I showed him how to get to the local home improvement store and I made a mad dash into Subway to get three cookies.  I was craving cookies - sugar/chocolate - something awful!  I ate two on the drive back to my office.

In sorting through my notes and information to prepare my report, I noticed I had made a mistake.  It had only been 10 months since I had been to the home, not a year as the first visit was "late".  Therefore, I didn't realize that a video I can count for training, I had counted for the previous review.  I called to inform the family that they needed six hours of training, not the four that I had thought and why.  The woman went off on me about how she was sick and didn't want to discuss things now, but went on to say that she has issues with how I address things in the family. Apparently, "all hell broke loose" after I left the home.  And apparently, by engaging their adult son in conversation (while the mom hovered around the corner outside the room eavesdropping) about his plans to join the military - that meant that I said he was not welcome in the home.  That by restating to the family a rule of reporting within one business day any change in household composition, that enforced that her son was not welcome in the home (despite being informed in August that he would be joining the military in January/February and I was discussing the process).  She went on beyond that (which I won't go into details)...to summarize that I don't do my job well and she had previously asked someone for a meeting that never happened.  Really?  Why not ask ME for a meeting?  Have I mentioned how much I am bothered by incompetence and dishonesty/liars?

I was beyond irritated.  I decided I needed to leave the office and cool down.  Writing an emotional report is never a good thing, especially when Supervision (even when I ask for criticism and appropriateness) only looks for a random word typo in a report.  I took the rest of the day off.  MS was still in town and we were able to hangout until time to head to my son's basketball game.  I wasn't in the best of moods, but it was nice to have company, even if I wasn't very talkative.  While driving to meet up with MS, I finished my third cookie (I am getting to the point!).

Tonight, I logged into my work email account.  I had an email from the clerical support that opens the mail that I had received a package.  A package of cookies from Mrs. Fields!  I have absolutely NO idea who they are from or why.  If I had to guess, I have two people in mind that may have sent them (although we are not allowed to receive vendor gifts), but I could be completely wrong.  I doubt that it is a late birthday gift sent to my work. 

Again, just another example of how things completely happen for a reason.  I was craving cookies - I bought some out of the blue.  I left work after a bad experience with a family and had I stayed, then I would have been there to receive my cookies (I was actually still in the office when they arrived too!).  Good thing I didn't get them at the time...I'm sure I would have eaten every last crumb!  But what a fabulous surprise when I least expect it and definitely could use it!

No comments: