Thursday, September 17, 2009

Shithead

As I sit here with thoughts racing through my mind, I feel like a shithead. While I would like to say that I don't have regrets in my life, only life lessons, there are rare times when my actions, I clearly regret. But sometimes, whether or not out of nervousness, tiredness, stress or whatever it may be, my behavior can be inappropriate and usually in the means of laughter.

Last night I had a "date", call it 701 I suppose, since he's the seventh person that I've met since I rejoined the free dating site. To me, that seems infinitely impossible and WAY too many people to meet, but afterall it's just a meet and greet date, or it should be with the exception that I'm a "marathon dater". Let me digress and say that 601, where I assured myself on a weeknight would not be a marathon date, turned into 7.5 hours and 20 miles of exercise!

Anyway...701 was running late and had called while I was en route to the restuarant. He thought that he told me he would call when he was done with coaching, but what was agreed was that we would meet at 7p.m. I arrived about ten minutes early and was chatting on the phone when I decided I would attempt to sit at the bar and grab a drink. As I walked toward the door, there was a slight commotion on the sidewalk. An overweight man without a shirt was down on his knees on the sidewalk clutching a pack of cigarettes in his hand. A shirt was wadded up on the ground in front of him and a cane was haphazardly lying in the rock garden. A woman was talking to him and offering him assistance to stand and asking if he wanted a chair. Two men were standing next to them staring down upon the man. I asked if they needed assistance or a call or anything. One of the men said, "No. He was on fire."

What? How is one on fire? And only because the man was OK, did I find the situation funny. Yes, I am awful in the fact that I found the entire situation funny. A man managed to catch himself on fire while smoking outside of a restaurant in broad daylight. The Ex-Bf told me I'm "Going to Hell" for thinking it was funny, even though he laughed to. I went inside and one of the waitresses was on the phone with 911 reporting the incident. I went to the bar and mentioned it to the bartender and then conversed with three gentleman about it across the bar. Obviously had the man been injured, there would have been absolutely no humor in the story, none. And maybe there isn't regardless.

But to me, in the unknown nervousness of meeting a date in a bar and approaching the aftermath of someone who had been "on fire", I laughed and therefore I am a shithead. Fortunately he was OK and didn't have any burns on him either. On a more serious note though, this man should not be smoking!

No comments: