Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kids, Potty and Abuse

Due to my profession, I am a Mandated Reporter. I am required to report any suspected allegations of abuse and/or neglect. But what if I felt a need to report myself? Mind you I am joking, since there was no actual means of abuse or neglect...just the story of a young child that had to go to the bathroom...but how often does a story get misconstrued. Remember that old game "Operator" and how from one person to another the story ALWAYS changed?

For those of you who may not know, my son is 12. He is no longer an infant or toddler. I seldom date people who have young children. I have two nephews, but they live out of state and my contact is more than minimal (probably a good thing for them!). I have friends that have young children, which I see on occasion. I enjoy spending time around young kids, but I do understand that I'm not interested in becoming a mommy again anytime soon, if ever.

Yesterday while assisting a co-worker and friend of mine, she asked if I ever wanted to have another child. She is concerned about her son being an only child. She and I are worlds apart. Her son is almost one. The thought of starting over again...I did find it ironic though when discussing dating and conception with her that she would never date someone with children even though she wants more, she doesn't want someone elses.

My job does afford me the opportunity to spend time with children. Yesterday was no exception. My co-worker and I found ourselves with three children under the age of five. I suppose those mother instincts kick in, whether they are your children or not. Although I have to say, there are those mothers and people that don't have a single ounce of nurturing or mothering in them, no matter what. I think I met one of those yesterday...

Anyway...the point of my story...the three year old while in the backseat of the car softly whined that she had to go "potty". You know, the time when it's most inconvenient, a bathroom or rest stop is nowhere in sight and she has to go "NOW". Of course, I have a son. Pulling over on the side of the road and having him whip it out, no big deal. Here we were in the middle of nowhere with someone else's three year old female child that had to go potty, now. Options, options, options....not many.

So I told my friend to pull down a side street and I would have her go in the grass. After about a mile off the beaten path, the car stopped and I got out and removed the girl from her car seat. I set her in the grass and proceeded to tell her that we were going to take off her shorts and underwear so she could go potty. She kept asking, "Why?" Ah...that glorious age...I even removed her shoes. Then squatting down, I showed her what she needed to do to pee in the grass. She stood there looking at me dumbfoundedly and then again asking, "Why?"

And then the next thing I know...she's peeing! Standing straight up, urine spraying everywhere. She's not squatting. She's peeing on her feet and on her legs, just standing there peeing!

Fortunately, we had some napkins in the car and I cleaned her up, redressed her and back in the car seat she went. I can't imagine how awful it would have been had she been dressed!

But at what point does the reality of the situation become so mangled and misconstrued that our innocent stop for a small child to go to the bathroom can or would be seen as abuse by someone else?

No comments: