Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sex Talk Education

I know that my three regular readers all know me and my most fabulous 12 - year old son. Really truly, he is fabulous. He was in the paper last week as he was interviewed for Constitution Day. Yes, I didn't even know such a day existed! He managed to score the one and only goal for his soccer team out of two games to have their total score record of 1-14! He managed to make another week of the Survivor Football Pool being one of 27 of the originating 51. Yes, yes I know, if you happen to have come across this blog for the first time, that doesn't make him fabulous, truly I understand that.

Over the past several years, T and I have had numerous sex talks. If I ever learned from MP how to "link" posts, I'd probably term myself "linker" but I never quite figured it out. So I can't refer you to those great past blogs! Anyway, it's been a little while since my son and I discussed sex. We talk about it intermittently.

Like the dinner conversation the other night when he was sucking up Ramen Noodles and asked what would happen if he bit down on them when he was sucking them up. DUH. Which then I decided to discuss french kissing with him and how not to kiss as if he were sucking up noodles! Seriously, where do I come up with this stuff? If that wasn't bad enough, the conversation went from bad to worse (all the while him laughing hysterically) when I told him not to ever call a girl a noodle or a wet noodle and then I just had to end the conversation by saying, forget the whole deal. Never call anyone anything related to a noodle. End of Story.

Today I learned of a twelve year old boy who impregnated a thirteen year old girl. She is six weeks pregnant. Her parents want her to get an abortion, she wants to keep the child. She could be facing felony charges as she had sex with a person under the age of 13. He could face misdemeanor charges. The girls parents want child support. The boy wants a paternity test. At what age is a child able to decide if they can keep their baby? At what age can a parent decide that their child can't keep a baby?

It is never too early to discuss sex with our children. Whether they want to hear it or not. Whether you think you have ingrained the sex education into their minds or not. Remember, how they forget to bathe or shower or brush their teeth? How can we expect them to remember after one or two or three sex talks? Talk until you can't talk anymore and then talk again. Whether you think your child is sexually active or not. Whether you think they even look at children of the opposite gender. You think it won't happen to your child, you think it can't? Think again. It can and it will. Educate, educate, educate.

I know that my dinnertime discussion with my son or the talk before the Biggest Loser will again be on sex, intercourse, pregnancy, condoms, std's...you name it. I think of it, I know it, I will share it. I will share it again and again until he knows it. Again and again until he can recite it. I will do my part as a parent and hope and pray that it is enough. Let it be enough...

No comments: