Monday, September 7, 2009

Dating 501

It has been over 2.5 weeks since I attempted to meet anyone new from the dating site. I've been rather gunshy as well as busy with other things, like MD's birthday where I was the DD. And then of course MD's attempt to assist me catch A BIG BASS....only BASS I caught was BS and ASS = BASS. Anyway...

I had been talking to someone on the phone for over a week that went out of town the same day my son and I went on vacation. We talked about meeting upon his return, until things got weird, really weird. I wish I could put my finger on it, but I can't. Bottomline I suppose, I didn't feel like he was being honest, he was distant and I felt like he was big on the games. So the conversations became very minimal prior to his return and we still talked about meeting on Sunday. He said he would call at noon, he called at 12:45p.m. and the conversation was short and weird and he said he would call later, which I think both he and I knew and hoped he wouldn't. He didn't.

Anyway, in the meantime, I was chatting with another guy who rides motorcycles. He had said that over the weekend he wanted to ride and watch the movie Gamer and asked if I wanted to join him. I told him I would rather "ride" than watch a movie. And so the plans were in motion for going on a motorcycle ride on Sunday, with someone I had never met and never talked to on the phone. He called on Sunday and we made plans to meet up; however, in one of our instant message chats he asked what I look for in a guy. I responded, "A great smile and a good personality." He said, well I have one. I thought he was JOKING.

When I met him, I knew right away that I wasn't attracted to him. He was rather slovenly, ripped jeans, disheveled look, hair too long, scruffy face with the long patch under the bottom lip and hair everywhere else in a scruffy beard...but all that could have been OK until he spoke. And that's when I saw...his teeth. Call me shallow, I'm OK with that; but seriously, I don't even know if he had his entire top teeth but the discoloration, the separation, the jaggedness...I wanted to just get back in my car and go home. But I didn't.

Maybe I was hoping that the good personality would override the looks, but I knew deep down, there are somethings that I just won't settle on. I'm not looking at perfection, but someone who takes care of their teeth to the best of their ability, would be a start! But for a bike ride, sitting on the back, it wouldn't matter, would it?

Long story short, the day went well. We both talked about ending it soon if either of us had another "date" which neither of us did. So we ended up spending almost eight hours together - seriously HOW does that happen? We ended the evening the same way the afternoon began, with a hug. He asked me out for the following evening which I declined because I had my son. Maybe I am too nice...maybe I should be more blunt and rude and should have just walked away. Maybe not. The guy is nice and he means well, there just wasn't any chemistry or connection. I don't expect that with everyone, but someone would be nice!

No comments: