Friday, April 23, 2010

Bed & Breakfast/Weekend Recap

Last Friday I was able to utilize my Bed & Breakfast purchase, sans my son! I did miss his scrimmage on Saturday, for my own sanity of course! Seeing that I had the day off, I was able to take a nap after taking my son to school and then got busy around the house with putting away laundry, straightening up and then packing for a weekend of whatever!

I had a lunch date on Friday. This was my first date since early November - although some may say that spending time with male friends is dating, for me it isn't. I had been talking to this guy for a week on the phone (which likely added some additional stress for not being able to schedule plans) and with my son's visitation schedule back to normal, I could finally make plans to meet. Lunch went fine. He's a nice guy, despite some quirky traits - but we all have them, right?

After the almost four hour lunch date, I headed to find the B&B while making plans to meet another friend for drinks before my evening plans with my girlfriend. When I arrived at the B&B I was on the phone, so I waited on the porch until I finished. When I tried the front door...it was locked. Moments later an SUV came flying into the drive and a minute later the front door opened.

I was greeted by a slightly winded, slightly disheveled middle aged short-red haired woman. I introduced myself and gave her my certificate. I was also greeted by two large Dalmatians, that I reached down to pet. She did not introduce herself or the excited dogs. She went on to say that twice in two weeks she had to rescue a flat tire and came home to find people waiting on her. She proceeded to walk up the stairs with me in tow - without luggage since I was initially scoping out the place! The woman offered me a choice between two bedrooms - a smaller, quaint room, or a larger room with a loveseat and chair. I had no preference and she gave me the larger room. She seemed more than appalled that it was just me! She then asked what time I wanted breakfast. Being more than flexible I asked what worked for her. Apparently that is the wrong thing to ask! I suggested 9 or 9:30 seeing that I had to check out at 10. She then said, "So which one?". As she walked out of the room I asked about the bathroom since I hadn't but peeked into the bedroom. I hadn't realized there was a bathroom, which was shared between the two bedrooms. I then asked her if the doors were locked or what time I needed to be in. I was trying to be nice. She said that she locks the doors after all guests are in for the night. I mentioned that if it were really late, I wouldn't return. She asked that I call her if that was the case.

General impressions...A) She dislikes single guests, B) She dislikes her job, C) She doesn't like people that use their pre-paid night stays, D) She didn't like that I was left waiting, E) She doesn't like to introduce herself or show off her home, F) She disliked ME, G) All of the Above & 100 more...G, G, G, G, G, G...

My friend came to pick me up, since we were less than .5 mile from downtown and I figured I could either get a cab or my girlfriend could bring me back. I decided to leave my things in the room afterall and return. When my friend and I left the B&B the woman did say, "Wow, they are multiplying (since apparently she didn't realize my friend had walked in)" and I told her I would be back. She advised me that she would be going out to dinner and locking the residence - while my first instinct was that she thought I would ransack her home with my "friends" - I told her I wouldn't be returning until late after a night out.

My friend and I hit a local bar where I had never been. When grabbed some happy hour specials - which made me VERY HAPPY - and appetizers. JN then called and picked up comedy tickets for the three of us, since I invited my friend along as well. We then met elsewhere for dinner - which were more appetizers and drinks! We had tickets for the comedy club at 10p.m. I may have actually fallen asleep during the show - since I had consumed alcohol, the comics weren't funny and I was emotionally spent from my breakdown the days before and decompressing from everything! The show ended and we bounced around a few bars, before I was dropped back off at the B&B around 1a.m. I proceeded to fall asleep in the bucket chair - completely uncomfortable - but too tired to get ready for bed, or even crash on the bed. At 4a.m. I proceeded to get up and get ready for bed and couldn't find a non-feather pillow. I slept on a few towels. Good times!

At 7a.m. I was up and read my book for a while. Just before 9:30 I went downstairs showered (which the water was rusty for a few solid minutes - and the shampoo was in a dispenser on the shower wall!) and in my workout clothes (although my shoes were in my trunk!). Breakfast was OK. She finally sat down with me and we had a decent discussion. I learned her name from the other two guests that left breakfast shortly after I arrived. She gave me a comment card before my breakfast arrived. As I was walking out the door to leave, she commented that non-feather pillows were located in the closet! I mentioned I had hoped even for a throw pillow on the loveseat or chair which she responded, "What do you do with throw pillows other than throw them on the floor?" Well, I use them to sleep on when there are feather pillows!

I then went over to my friend AG's house and we went for a 6.5 mile walk around town. Got back and cleaned up and headed out to meet more friends for brunch. AG and I then did some shopping around town before I dropped him off. I then had an hour or so to kill before my dinner "date" where a friend had invited me over for dinner - where he was cooking! I was responsible for bringing wine or beverages. After the night before consumption, I wasn't really up for drinking, but grabbed a six-pack of Wild Blue, Blueberry beer when a bottle of wine was beckoning me to purchase. His Fault. How could I pass up that?

Dinner turned out very good. We had a great evening despite His Fault tasting not so fabulous! We then tried to watch two of my movies which were miserable and ended up at Blockbuster renting a third, which was equally as bad.

Sunday I picked up my friend and we headed to church. Three times I've gone to service in the past month. Wow, what is that all about? I have to admit that the third time must be a charm, because service was actually tolerable. I still find it amazing that in the recesses of our mind we store a lot of information, like every saying and response for a catholic service when attendance is minimal at best! We grabbed brunch after service. He offered I could read the rest of my book or nap while he did homework and we could walk later. I opted to head home where I spent the rest of my Sunday being extremely lazy!

It was a busy weekend, although it be relaxing and full of great friends! The B&B lady even asked if it was my "birthday", since who goes to a B&B, out with friends and has another offer to cook dinner if it isn't your birthday? Me I guess. I hope you too!

No comments: