Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Verbage Clarification - Punkeges

It seems like forever since I have once again found myself in front of the keyboard with time to blog. I've had blog ideas swirling around in my head for a while, but still contemplating whether or not I want to have them actually come to fruition or not. So in the meantime...

My boyfriend, JC and I clearly have different modes of communication. We see eye to eye on a lot of things, but others, not so much. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, just different and at times we find ourselves in over our heads. You see, I'm more of an analyzer, a planner, a detail oriented person. Not that education matters, but I mustered by Bachelor's in three years and then have been faced with single parenting for 12 years (despite my 3.5 year stint at one may call matrimony). JC, school isn't his knack (not that I was a fan either by any means!). He's a fixer, a doer, a maker of sorts. He can tinker and get anything to fix. He can dissect, disassemble, reassemble. I can break it and if dad's old adage of duct tape doesn't work, I buy a new one.

I'm often fascinated with things. Like recently I noticed an obnoxious fish mailbox and pointed it out to my son. He of course retorted, "Duh Mom. I showed you that mailbox months ago, remember?" Ummm, No. No, I don't recall EVER seeing that mailbox. Or the new exterior color of the neighbors house - that may have been painted years ago. So for me, I find myself quite entertaining and unique in that so many things appear new and different (my story and I can put a positive spin on it if I want!). JC notices everything. He notices houses, roads, animals, cars, everything that I don't. On the other hand, I am a stickler for detail and analyzing on paper or in words. I can remember conversations, emails, etc. precisely (as long as it isn't a book or a movie).

My point being, this often causes communication issues with JC. He doesn't recall or hear things that I tell him, I of course remembering it all and tire of the repetitive nature of repeating. We also agree that we speak differently. We use different words, which happen to cause issues since I take words at face value, black and white. I don't assume, I don't read into them and often JC's word choices aren't exactly what he means, but he struggles with the exact expression.

Last night I found myself laughing at loud, with him. Which in the scheme of things, was much needed as we have forgotten how to joke and have fun as of late. We were discussing past racing events we have attended and he mentioned one where people were throwing out pumpkins from the race cars making a mess on the track.

He then said, "There was punkeges (pronounced PUNK EH JEZ) everywhere!"

What? "What in the world are punkeges?" Mind you it wasn't pumpkineges, it was punkeges.

He went on to explain that gross stuff from the inside of the punkin is punkeges. I said, you mean the guts and the seeds of the pumpkin?

Yes, punkeges it is!

No comments: