Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Financial Three's

If things happen in threes, I truly hope that the third financial hit isn't brutal. There is no question that the economy is in dire straits. People are losing their jobs left and right, and I'm truly blessed to still be employed. Today we learned that our employer will be closed for six days through the end of September. Six days of unpaid, yet to be determined days, which from my calculations is equivalent to about a 4% cut in pay, which won't be equally dispersed but in eight hour increments a pay period over the next five months. Yes, it could be worse, I truly am thankful. Truly.

Then there is the issue of child support. I decided to leave it up to the other half to determine whether or not to have the matter reviewed. Apparently, it's up for the three year "optional" review (although it's only been reviewed ONCE in the past 11 years at MY request!). Today I received the packet in the mail that he wants it reviewed. I can't imagine that it won't be in my favor, but regardless financial situations get me a LOT worked up. Seeing that the average cost of living raise is 3% per year and I think in the past three years I may have an accumulated 3% raise, I shouldn't be worried. I am though. Because, that is what I do best.

Besides, Friend of the Court is NEVER in my favor. EVER. Even when it appears that they are, they aren't. They always realize afterward that a MISTAKE has been made.

I can't keep going through this. It's downright painful. Childcare is no longer an issue. The other half and I share joint custody, but there isn't anything "joint" financial about it. But FOC doesn't care. They don't care that he has field trip fees, camp fees, lunch boxes, winter coats and boots, sport recreation fees, a passport fee, tennis lessons, summer program fees, you name it. Anything that should be split "jointly" as part of the "joint custody" arrangement is mine solely. That's not to say that one out of four sports fees I may convince him to cover, that I've managed to get him to do over the past three years. He has even shaved his head a few times over the past few years - only to prove that if I don't want his head shaved I should get it cut more often!

Last year I was fortunate enough, or as it may be now, unfortunate enough to have some overtime. It was a one time occurrence to compensate for me working out of town and coming in on the weekends to catch up on my permanent work. Now, that will likely come back to hurt me as my W2 is required.

I guess whatever is meant to happen will happen. Afterall the other half threatened he would be unemployed by the beginning of the year as he is an automotive designer. Maybe it will all work out better than I am anticipating. Afterall my insurance premiums have risen over the past three years and my wages really haven't. As long as he's still employed, maybe for once, it will be in my benefit.

Pigs can fly, right? The swine flu virus is airborne, so that's kind of the same thing, right? Yeah, my thought exactly.

No comments: