Thursday, October 23, 2008

First Annual Pre-Hunting Holiday

I've decided for the first time ever (hence First Annual...) I'm going on a Pre-Hunting Holiday. Every year, my son's dad ditches his visitation for two weeks and goes up north hunting. It's not about the actual hunting or killing of anything, it's a matter of getting away and hanging out with family in a shit shack covered in nudes. Clearly not my idea of a vacation retreat!

About a month ago or maybe a little less, I inquired about having my son's dad take my son for two nights so that I could go on my first Pre-Hunting Holiday.

He laughed. (Mind you, my son's dad talks as little as possible to me - even 11 years AFTER the fact! Most of his communication is a grunt or "I'll let you know." and he NEVER DOES.)

TS and I were hoping to plan a vacation. I had a week, sans son (I hoped), and was hoping to have my sunny destination locale including drinks by a pool that I didn't get while in Grenada. Unfortunately TS isn't able to get away, but JN decided that she would love to go somewhere. So we kicked around the ideas of where and whether or not it was a touristy thing or an all-inclusive.

The past two days have been almost exclusively trying to plan a vacation for...next week! Why not go in traditional, true last minute style?

Unfortunately, JN has other commitments that she didn't initially realize, so my seven night vacation is now a three-night vacation. BUT, I'm still going on vacation, to Cancun at a 5 GOLDEN APPLE RESORT. Yep, doing it right this time!

After securing the package and flying out of the closest airport possible so we are avoiding traveling and park-n-fly's, we are golden. Except for one thing...I didn't double check with my son's dad that he would take our son those two nights.

Here's how the conversation went when I called my son's dad and asked him if he was planning on taking our son:

(Click, phone has been picked up on the receiving end) Something inaudible maybe a "Yah"

I say, "X?"

He responds, "Mm" (I think that means I've dialed the right number)

I say, "I was wondering if you were still planning on taking T next week on Tuesday & Thursday?"

He said, "Ummm...for your annual Pre-Hunting whatever?"

I respond, "YES. For my First Annual Pre-Hunting Holiday."

His response (somewhat irritated and grumbly), "Not to be confused with your Traverse City or Cedar Point trips?"

I say, "Exactly. Those weren't my Pre-Hunting Holiday."

He then says, "Oh really? Where are you going this time? Are you going to be in the area?"

So I joyously respond (sugary sweet of course), "Cancun. I'm only going from Monday - Friday and T can still come to the house after school."

He mumbles some additional inaudible things and I inquire if he's planning on going hunting this year (T mentioned he may not as his wife may require surgery). He says he won't know until 10/31 but he will watch our son and I say OK.

And that was the end of that conversation.

In less than 5 days I will be in Cancun soaking up the sun and drinking fruity foo-foo drinks - I can't wait - no matter how many nights it is!

No comments: