Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cedar Point Weekend

Cedar Point is located in Sandusky, Ohio. Cedar Point advertises as "America's Roller Coast" and the "Best Amusement Park in the World!" Anyone not familiar with Cedar Point should check it out at http://www.cedarpoint.com/.



Growing up on the east side of the State of Michigan, Cedar Point was only 2.5 hours drive away. It was somewhere that I typically went at least once a year. Cedar Point was also the frequent destination for teenagers after prom and during summer vacations. In addition to the roller coasters there is also a water park, separate from the amusement park. The park itself boasts numerous water rides, although several you must be prepared to be drenched and walk around the park like a wet zombie for a while.



For the first time that I can ever remember, I went to HalloWeekends at Cedar Point. The park is decked out in Halloween decorations and has many Halloween and haunted house attractions. We booked a cabin (which we highly recommend and would do again in a heartbeat!) right on Cedar Point property and walking distance into the park (although a shuttle van was only a phone call away!). The cabin slept six, we had four adults and were comfortable, six adults may be congested.




Since I had my son, eleven years ago, I find myself less tolerable of motion. I've always had a backseat car sickness, but moreso after childbirth with additional issues with spinning, whirling and falling. A few years ago I went to Cedar Point for the first time in several years. Every year I go to the sister park of Cedar Point, Michigan Adventure which is much smaller, closer and more kid friendly. Michigan Adventure boasts, "Two Parks for the Price of One!" My son and I love it mainly for the water park. I struggled with the motion sickness so much that after a trip to Michigan Adventure, I ended up vomiting.



This year I decided to go to Cedar Point prepared with my new found love of Dramamine! What a miracle!





The first ride of the weekend was the Magnum XL-200. Maybe since it was getting dark and the Dramamine was in full force, it didn't seem too bad. I didn't have any of the normal anxiety symptoms of sweaty palms, increased heart beat, ball in the pit of the stomach. I felt nothing. I felt nothing so much, that I couldn't even scream! And, that was OK. I was completely able to enjoy rides!


Between Friday and Saturday, we tackled the Magnum, Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, Corkscrew, Gemini, Wild Cat, Ferris Wheel, Sky Ride, Mean Streak, Iron Dragon, Raptor and most importantly the Top Thrill Dragster. The Blue Streak is the oldest roller coaster in Cedar Point (1964), however the line was over an hour so we skipped it. The Mean Streak is the largest wooden roller coaster and is a horrible experience. The 1.25 hour wait was almost two hours and the ride itself is rickety, rough and even painful. Two of the group tackled the MaxAir, but Dramamine or not I couldn't do the spinning and forward/backward motion. The Top Thrill Dragster is the fastest and highest roller coaster reaching 410ft. and speeds of 120 miles. The ride lasts a mere 17 seconds. The line for the Mantis was also 2 hours so we bypassed that as well. We also didn't go on the Power Tower, which is an adult version/combination of the Frog Hopper and the Demon Drop. The Wicked Twister, an intense Motion Ocean ride with a kick was pretty fun too with only a wait of 30 minutes. Friday night was definitely less crowded than Saturday!


All in all it was a wonderful weekend of fun and friends! Definitely plan on making it an annual trip!

No comments: