Sunday, June 6, 2010

Licensing Update

One of the last times I blogged, I discussed pursuing becoming a foster parent. I'm one foot in the process and continuing. I had my Orientation a few weeks ago and due to my own job, there are certain training requirements that I'm exempt because, I've already done them!


My Orientation was "non-conventional" and I was drilled hard by the Licenser, also a very close associate. He took advantage of his authority over me and pushed me harder than was appropriate. When I left the office I wondered whether or not it would be better to have the younger licenser that I do not know on a personal level license me. It was out of my hands. Fortunately (I think) she was assigned my case/home. Unfortunately, she is intimidated by me and the fact that I know more about licensing than she does. I'm doing my best to wear a different hat, I really am!


One of the rules of being a foster parent includes that you cannot utilize a basement for anything other than laundry and storage if you do not have two means of egress. I do not. I have nine glass block windows in my basement, which is approximately 1400 sq. feet. We recently changed around the basement den to include T's 42" television, the other television - strictly for the Nintendo 64), a love seat, a futon, a five-in one air couch conversion thingy, the computer, etc. The other room offers the ping pong table and air hockey table. In getting licensed, my son and I cannot use the basement without an egress! I will not get licensed without making the basement "legal". The licenser said that just "foster kids" couldn't be in the basement, she is wrong. I will not violate the rules. Somethings I really am black and white.

There is grant money to assist with egress windows. If I get approved. I recently had a second quote for an egress window and met with the first for a second time. Both quotes were approximately $4300. Amazing that my friends all feel that I could get one for $1500-$2000. Why such the vast difference? Due to my concrete house, steel framing, close nature to the neighbors driveway, trees, gas line, 8'6" ceilings, etc. the cost is what it is.

I also had one of the places give me a quote on putting in a small bathroom in the basement. I've always wanted a second bath. I want a shower not a tub for purposes of space and cost. A friend told me this is a 3/4 bath. What? Anyway...so for both the quote came in at $10,000. I actually thought that was reasonable. Why again am I not handy? Of course in putting in an egress window and a second bath, my taxes will definitely increase. I've been in my house for 11 years now. It has been a fabulous investment and a great home for us, even if I don't see the monetary return when I sell it.

It is just a big investment. License or not. I'm debating whether or not to just jump right in or get a third quote. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

As for the rest of the licensing process...I'm waiting on the doctor's offices to complete the medical statements and return them. My friends have all received the reference requests. I apparently still have 2.5 hours of training to complete - I'll have that done very soon. I still need to get a carbon monoxide detector and would like to pick up another twin bed. So making progress, just it's going much slower than I would like. I'm learning to deal with not being in control. It's a hard lesson.

No comments: