Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bike Bruise

I'm recovering. I'm healing.

Not from an addiction. Not from my blogging hiatus. Not from a relationship.

I am healing from my latest accident. By definition what is an accident?

The dictionary lists Accident - Noun:
1. a) An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
b) An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.
c) An instance of involuntary urination or defecation in one's clothing.
2. Lack of intention; chance: ran into an old friend by accident.
3. Logic A circumstance or attribute that is not essential to the nature of something.


Fortunately for me, my accident was not c).

Memorial Weekend, I put my bike rack on my bike and headed twenty-five miles or so to my good friend, AG's house to ride bikes. He had recently purchased a bike and we decided we would hit the trails. Mind you, I love AG and I try hard not to view him as my 6'5" baby bird that I'm nursing into 35 year old adulthood, but seriously this man has been sheltered. I realize it is not my job or duty to feel the motherly instinct of protector and teacher, but some roles are inherent. Also, AG doesn't drive due to a medical condition. Having said that...this is how a week later, I find myself still healing.

I threw AG's bike in my bike rack and we were off to find the "beginning of the trail" since AG didn't like where I wanted to start. So we went to a nearby park and were finally on our way. About a half mile into the ride on the bike path, AG inquired about "biker etiquette". I offered some suggestions and input about other bikers, walkers, etc. (apparently NOT enough). Shortly after that, we merged from the bike route into the road where we continued.

AG was slightly in front of me and to my right, so I was on his inside. I mentioned about not knowing that the park had a disc golf course (one of my summer faves!) at which point he turned his head back to the left to look at me while turning his bike to the left and then rode to the left. I even recall that he may have put on his brakes!

Seeing that I was not even a half bike distance behind him, I slammed on my brakes, turned my bike to the right away from him and smashed into the center of his back tire! (Yes, his NEW back tire) I couldn't brace for the impact and in slow motion (in my mind of course), I went down. I tried to brace my fall with my hands. I don't think I was successful.

I was able to yell his name in the instant that I found myself pummelling to the pavement. I managed to smash my chin directly into the concrete, hit my head - fortunately I wear a helmet - cut up my left wrist and got road rash on the top of my right knee and in the palms of both hands. The last time I recall falling off my bike, I was eight. I blogged about it here. That was a long time ago, and a lot of miles ago!

AG felt bad, I was humiliated. I laid on the ground and a couple walkers offered to call for medical assistance. Did I mention that I'm a Scorpio? So I got up, dusted myself all, irritation and all and got back on my bike. I checked my tires, they were fine. Of course I didn't realize my chain was off and my handle bars were inverted! AG righted me and then tried to grab my wrist to check the damage.

"Don't touch me!" I growled. Didn't he realize he had done enough? He offered that we stop the ride? Seriously, I just drove half an hour to ride...one mile? No way. No way in hell.

So throbbing and in pain, we rode ten miles. We stopped in a town so that I could use the outside faucet and clean out the dirt, grime and wash off the blood. Then we went and grabbed lunch. My chin already had a large goose egg and was beginning to bruise. We then rode the ten miles back. Other than the "accident" that AG swears he was just heading to the continuation of the bike path...sigh...the ride was decent.

Of course it wasn't until the next evening that I realized, I was also suffering from a slight concussion.

At this point, I'm not signing up to ride bikes with AG again. Afterall, a week of mockery of my bruised chin was enough for a while!

No comments: