Monday, January 4, 2010

Toe Molding

Over Memorial Weekend...I decided it was time to paint the one wall (besides my hallway) that had never been painted in the ten years of my home ownership. I'd link you to the post and the pictures, but yeah, that means I need to actually learn how to blog. Digressing...

I painted a fresh coat of a similar color and also all the trim around the five windows, the baseboards and the trim around the four doors in the dining/living room area. When doing the baseboards I finally tore up the toe molding/shoe trim/what have you and decided that I would replace it with painting trim (the previous molding had been partially stained, paint splattered, split, etc.). I had told the guy that I was dating that I would like his help and I had hoped that it wouldn't take six months. We ended the relationship two months later.

Seven months later and the nagging effects of the missing molding, which I didn't fully paint the two coats to the floor since I knew it would be replaced, I needed to replace it! DK offered to replace it, while I was on vacation (at least that's what I thought!) but I didn't have time to buy the materials and I wouldn't expect him to do it in my absence, although he would have been paid well since he's unemployed. So he offered to help me with it and that was the plan in addition to playing the Wii and hanging out.

Six hours of shopping, Christmas returns and purchasing a compound mitre saw and trim, the project was underway. Needless to say, in getting to the molding, that meant that the floor needed to be cleaned of my parents dog and the Christmas decor needed to be dismantled. Why is everything such a big undertaking?

All the trim was measured and cut. It was my job to sand the pre-primed molding, paint them with two coats and touch up and clean up. Other than a candle falling on my toe, we didn't have really any mishaps other than some cut-throat moments where I needed to get away from him. Some people just have the ability to push the right or as it may be wrong buttons. We finished the trim in the dining/living room and in the front entrance at 2a.m. It looks absolutely beautiful - better than the trim has EVER looked (since I've owned the house!) and I'm so eternally grateful for having the help to complete a long overdue project!

No comments: