Monday, January 4, 2010

My Holiday Gift

I'm not big on spending money, especially when it comes to myself; however, I'm seldom someone that struggles with "buyer's remorse". More often than not, I struggle with the notion of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" in that I saw something I wanted but rationalized not getting it only to wish that I had, but it was now too late.

I'm also not going to say that I didn't spend money on myself this holiday, because I did. I splurged and bought a season's pass in Colorado, only because by doing so, I actually saved money, assuming I am able to use it for both weeks that I am there. I also bought myself a hat with built in speakers - only one of which worked - with the slight exception of skiing mid-hill and having the faulty speaker decide to work thereby blasting out my eardrum for about 30 seconds!

Sometimes, when on vacation, I like to buy myself something. A memento of sorts, something to remember the trip since all too often the memories fade too quickly. I'm not into key chains or t-shirts, although I do like the pennies that you can make at the machine - but those aren't always available.

While walking around Breckenridge, we saw a small "mall" and since we were window perusing and enjoying the beautiful night, allbeit chilly, we went inside. I ambled into a jewelry store, Two Wild Sisters. Immediately, my eyes caught the attention of a rather unique ring.




I really did like it, but not enough to stop and try it on. I think I feared that I really would like it and then I wouldn't like the price tag! I walked around and browsed the other cases. I tried on a ring, but wasn't all that taken with it. I walked back around the store and asked to try on the ring.


The ring is designed in Hawaii. The last ring I purchased for myself was in Hawaii back in the fall of 2000 (with the exception of my $6 fashion ring in Chicago). There were two of the same ring, one was a size 7 and the other a size 8. Apparently due to the elevation and altitude, fingers swell, so while I liked the darker stone of the size 8 which didn't have the circle in it (as seen above in the size 7), I was afraid that the size 8 would be too big back in Michigan.

After contemplating the purchase for a few moments and being informed that the ring was 60% off, I decided to purchase the size 7.

I love it! I think purchasing rings on vacations is my new found calling - a great way to constantly remember the memories! Besides, this vacation was very budget and low-key since it was an "add-on" to the upcoming Colorado trip in a few weeks!

No comments: