Monday, February 13, 2012

The Next Great Baker : I am Not...

Today JA texted me to confirm that my alias was donned the Next Great Baker.  Granted I have never watched or even heard of the show, so I have no idea what exactly reminds me of the winner.  Apparently it isn't my baking skills!

I have a meeting tomorrow morning, so I decided to make some cupcakes.  I had some orange frosting that I thought by adding red dye would turn red to decorate.  Did I mention that last week I participated in a cupcake decorating class?  Well, I have since learned that it is all about having the right tools.  Even when baking.

Adding red dye to orange does not turn frosting red.  And adding blue to not so red frosting only turns frosting the color of baby diarrhea.  So not appropriate for Valentines Day cupcakes.  Fortunately I also had white frosting in the cupboard.
Surprisingly the camera makes the hearts actually resemble red, not the dark orange they truly are.  I attempted to shade the heart in red, which made a mess, so I enhanced the mess!  Surprisingly my respite foster daughter chose that one as her snack!

Feeling like there is no way that I can pass off the cupcakes as being made by my three year old child I don't have, I opted to make pink frosting with the white. 

While I still need some major decorating assistance, at least I won't be too embarrassed to bring this cake to the meeting.  Afterall, I have no intention of quitting my day job anytime soon...

No comments: