Sunday, March 27, 2011

Father Update

My father is officially back in Michigan.  He and his wife flew into town on Friday night.  He has an appointment ("eval") on Monday at the University of Michigan hospital where his wife hopes he takes up "residence".  He will be out of his IV Primacor as of 5p.m. Monday, but his wife has "no worries".  By moving up to Michigan, they ended Hospice's involvement. 

As of now, they are staying in a hotel about 40 minutes away from UofM.  Neither of them drive. As of yesterday, my father was unaware how he was getting to his appointment.  They have a "hi" luncheon planned for this afternoon across the state. I had talked to T about going and decided that we wouldn't.  Worked out well considering my car issues and the advisement to not drive to "Detroit or Chicago", my first "respite" foster child experience, and other obligations.  Apparently they anticipate 40 people, but yet neither my father or his wife even considered that maybe they see their daughter or grandson outside of a mass gathering at an Applebees.  So why should we drive 5.5 hours roundtrip for an hour lunch? 

T received a birthday card and gift card in the mail on Friday.  I talked with my father yesterday and told him T would be calling to thank him.  T didn't (I can only nag so much!).  So after the movie today I told T he had to call and give thanks.  T wanted to shower first.  NO.

I gave T Grandpa's cell phone number.  He called from his room.  His side of the conversation went like this, "Hi Grandma A, it is T.  Grandma A it is T. Hello?  Grandma A?"  Then he said, "Well that went well.  Grandma A hung up on me."

Seriously?  So I use my son as "a pawn" and they don't even have the audacity to listen to him when he calls but hang up on him? 

So I called from my phone and immediately my father answered.  Not A.  Not his wife.  So clearly, she avoids MY calls at all expense, but another cell phone call (which is registered under MY name) she answers.  Whatever.  I tell my father that T just called and A hung up on him.  That he will be calling back from his phone. My father said OK.  No admittance of what had transpired.  No apology.  Whatever.

T called back and this time Grandpa answered the phone.  They talked for about ten minutes. 

Is this really FAMILY?

No comments: