Tuesday, June 16, 2009

3 Months Later

I don't know about you, but I routinely have an issue with how quickly three months time flies! Specifically, when my three month prescription for birth control expires. I seem to find myself repeatedly in the predicament that I ran out. And everytime it happens, I vow to be more proactive and not do it again. And, it does.

This month, I completely thought I was OK. I had a packet sitting in my bathroom drawer. I went to grab it on Sunday and...it was empty. I called the pharmacy and my refill would be ready mid-morning Monday. Enough said.

Monday, after grocery shopping, my son and I were enroute home to put away our half-melted freezer items, when I remembered. I remembered that there sitting in the pharmacy was my prescription. I turned around and we went back to pick up my pills.

Not having anything to take the pills with in the car, I had to wait to get home and hope I didn't get too sidetracked to take the now two days worth. What was most entertaining was the conversation on the ride home with my son:

T: Mom, what is your medicine for?
Me: It's preventative medicine.
T: What does that mean? What is preventative?
Me: It prevents you from having a little brother or sister.
Long pause...
T: Um, Mom?
Me: Uh huh...
T: Don't you have to, ummm, well, you know?
Me: Have sex?
T: Uh, yeah.
Me: Yes T, you can't get pregnant without having sex, whether you take birth control pills or not.

And I did my best to not laugh. To not laugh until the tears rolled down my face at his innocence. Apparently regardless of our many, many sex talks and his health class, he is still naive and 12. While others around the country are finding themselves pregnant at 12, my son still questions exactly how one can conceive and I'm COMPLETELY OK WITH THAT!

No comments: