Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Father Figures, Facts or Figuratively

Interestingly enough, after my post last night I received an update on my dad this morning at 7:25a.m.  No matter how many times I tell his wife I don't need my own personal update, just a copy of her mass updates that she emails, she has felt inclined to email me personally, twice.

Now don't go thinking that she is being the bigger person by doing so.  I appreciate the update, but I'm sure she has sent weekly if not more often updates to others.  I have gotten TWO since early November.  TWO. 

So the update was two sentences.  Basically advising that he is still alive and doing well.  His A1C level is now officially at 10 and needs to be at a 7 before he is eligible for a VAD.  Apparently when he was in Tampa, hospitalized for almost two weeks and sent home on Hospice, he was an 11.

Not that I know anything about A1C, this will be next google search expedition, but with my simplistic calculations a drop in one in more than two months doesn't seem significant, especially given that he was given weeks to months to live.  At the current rate of the reduction, to reach a 7 will be July 2011, minimally.

His wife previously anticipated he would receive a VAD and then a heart transplant.  The window of opportunity for a heart transplant will be closed effective his 65th birthday in June 2011. 

Good thing health isn't a matter of numbers and calculations.  Maybe there is still a chance.  A slim chance...or maybe the boy will finally stop crying...wolf.

No comments: