Monday, April 20, 2009

Vegas Move & Meet the Parents

I don't exactly have another vacation planned. Prior to Florida, JC had hoped that we could go on a vacation. With his race schedule he anticipated that we could go sometime in...August. Of course that didn't fly with me, so I found a way for him to accompany us on most of our Spring Break trip. I would have to admit that he was pretty thrilled to be on vacation, but missed his "kids" and his routine. The dogs proved to be fine as he was rest assured upon his return home.

As we were arriving at the airport for his departure, he received a phone call from his father (I would call him dad, but JC calls his ex-in law "dad" and his biological dad "father"). He called him back once we were in the lobby of the airport outside of security. His dad discussed plans of moving back to Michigan and the adventure that would pursue - flying out to Vegas and packing for 3-4 days for the trek across country that would take another 3-4 days. JC suggested that his father speak with his sisters about the arrangement as he wouldn't be the only sibling to assist with the move. His parents also hoped to be moved back to Michigan somewhere amongst the children by Memorial weekend.

Since that day, I have offered JC my assistance. As it is a weekend without T, I offered to go to help pack, drive, keep him awake, etc. He thanked me for the offer but declined stating it wasn't something he would want to do and I would likely become irritated and frustrated at his family. Mind you, that initial phone call, his father stated that there would be 4-5 vehicles that needed to be driven back to Michigan - an RV towing an old car, a mini van, a truck, a u-haul towing and another truck. Needless to say, JC didn't realize that all of the adults would therefore be driving separately, until later that is, much later.

On Easter I had the opportunity of meeting JC's two sister's and their families as the holiday was at JC's home. I had expected the worst from things JC had stated about his sister's but really didn't fear meeting them at all. I figured his stories were the difference between male and female, brother and sister relationships. Nothing I was familiar, but also nothing I was concerned. Easter went without casualty. The move was discussed this time with the three siblings stating that the parents had to pack themselves and they would offer one day of packing before hitting the road and anticipated returning back home within three days (although it's a 36 hour trip averaging 60mph and not counting ANY stops!).

Last Wednesday JC and I had a long discussion about "us". We covered our vacation, our relationship and how we communicate. He also again mentioned Vegas and how I felt about going. And that was that. My next adventure will include flying out to Vegas to meet his parents and assist in packing them up and driving across country. We purchased the one-way tickets on Friday and now we have to figure out the transport to the airport for the five of us flying out to Vegas. In addition, I haven't had the gall to ask about whether or not we will be stopping and lodging en route since clearly as a caravan we can only be as fast as the slowest driver. Fortunately JC and I will be driving together, but I still can't imagine that we will drive through the night. The fartherest I've ever driven on my own in one day was 10 hours. JC has a CDL license but said he gets tired after 200 miles and has never driven farther.

I can only imagine (Clearly my new theme song for my next adventure - which I have until mid-May to partake!)...

No comments: