Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Father's Passing

My father passed away in the early morning hours of August 6, 2011.  As I had dreamed weeks earlier, my father passed while I was on vacation. 

The plan was that he would begin to wean from the Primacor IV on Monday, August 8, 2011.  He had stopped taking all of his medications.  He had said his peace and was ready to die.  He was ready to stop fighting.  He passed in the night while still on the Primacor. 

I learned of his passing by an email from my uncle.  MS and I had been given free internet access at the resort in Mexico on Tuesday, August 8, 2011. I never did hear directly from his wife as I had expected.  She and I shared several emails about the memorial.  We shared a few words at the memorial.  I doubt that she and I will ever speak again. 

The night before the memorial service, I met with TS, LL, my brother and sister-in-law at one of my dad's favorite location to give one cheer and toast in his honor.  As we toasted and I looked up at the bar, this is what I saw:


MAY YOU BE IN HEAVEN AN HOUR BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD

How fitting.  Rest in Peace Dad.  Much love and until we meet again...

No comments: