Monday, August 22, 2011

Fostering Respite

MS and I arrived back to the airport just before midnight on Thursday night.  I stayed the night at MS' house and woke early to shower and head home.  I went grocery shopping for the weekend in preparation of respite with a 7 year old and 4 year old.  I raced home and put away the groceries, unpacked and started laundry.  I went and picked up T from his dad's and got back home in time for the foster children to arrive at 1p.m.

The weekend was a great time!  I enjoyed having the children in the home, although T was going out of his mind with the 7 year old that was annoying him beyond belief.  I tried to give him some space of his own as the kids and I walked to a park on two of the days, visiting three different parks.  We also enjoyed bowling, an indoor pool center, numerous movies, games and activities. 

On the first day we painted nails although the 7 year old decided she didn't want hers painted and did mine instead.  The 4 year old was ecstatic to have his finger and toes painted.  His older sister proclaimed that he wasn't "allowed" to have them painted because "mom and dad" wouldn't allow it, so of course I painted them!  I did take off the polish before he went back to the foster home on Sunday, but the little guy loved them and had fun picking out a different color for each nail!


I forgot how much energy it takes to parent young children!  I did my best to keep them on the sleep schedule, but honestly I wasn't very successful.  Obviously a different home and different sleep arrangements were difficult for the kids.  The 4 year old fell asleep watching a movie in my lap both nights.  He woke the first night several times throughout the night with the last time being 2a.m.!  Both kids were up between 5-6:00a.m. both mornings!  So my 3.5 hours of sleep average wasn't a great plan, but luckily short-term!  I didn't love the fact that the kids wanted blueberry pancakes and after making them at 6:30a.m. and neither wanted to eat them!  Oh well.  Plan B.

The 4 year old was a serious cuddle bug.  I loved being active with the kids.  The 4 year old loved helping me do dishes and around the house.  The 7 year old had issues with entertaining herself and was often "bored" so she found T to annoy!  I was sad to see the kids leave and I think they weren't ready to go - which was fabulous as neither of us wore out our welcome! 

Respite definitely works the best for us.  We don't have to worry about childcare, can help out other foster families and can enjoy the benefits of children while offering them stability and opportunity too!

No comments: