Tuesday, November 3, 2009

35th Birthday

I rarely make a big deal about my birthday. This birthday, my 35th is no more monumental than the next. Regardless that I will be that much closer to 40 than to 30. Once, when I turned 30, I actually had plans to celebrate. Needless to say, two days prior my son's dad made it clear to me that his hunting took precedence. Therefore, my son was left to find his own sleeping arrangements for my birthday evening by making his own plans at school. I was mortified when I learned that his dad had encouraged him to do such thing.

Since then, I no longer make plans for my birthday. I prepare that with little to no notice, my son's dad will decide he's going out of town for up to 10 days to "deer hunt" although I have no recollection in the past decade that he's actually killed or even shot at a single dear during that time.

In years past I seem to be fixated on my bathroom as birthday presents to myself. One year I think I remodeled the bathroom while I was recovering from my tonsillectomy around my birthday. Another year I had my tub refurbished or painted or what have you - and by the way it looked amazing! Last year I had a new one piece surround installed. I'm running out of things to do with my one and only bathroom. It really could use a new look and a fresh coat of paint, but the reality, I love the color.

For years, at least eight of the ten that I've lived in my house, I've wanted to put an additional bathroom in my house. I would love to add a bathroom in the basement; however, my plumber friend refuses to do it and I haven't been motivated enough to find someone interested or able to give me a quote. My framing in my house is steel. I would need an up flush. Even this morning I was thinking about the addition of a bathroom. The reality, I don't need another bathroom, I want another bathroom.

This morning I received a call from a potential client. She had been completely misinformed about numerous things - it's amazing how much incorrect insight people can offer about things that they know nothing about! I even found myself laughing at some of the absurd things she had come to believe were true but fortunately she questioned to verify. In the midst of her questions she informed me that there were 14 years between she and her husband and that he was a "retired" plumber. I'm sure I crossed every line possible by saying that I was just considering a second bathroom.

Karma. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Karma. Maybe just maybe...yeah, probably not. But it is that time of year - my birthday!

No comments: